My presentations, articles and other publications
The following are presentations I've given and articles I've written, plus links to a few articles written about me by others. This is not an exhaustive list; unfortunately some of them were hosted on Web sites which are no longer active. Items marked with an asterisk were delivered as paid sessions at software conferences and the material I delivered isn't available for public download.
- Testing Hadoop Applications
- Presented at the Chicago Hadoop User Group meeting in November, 2012. This is a shorter version of my talk from the Strata + Hadoop World conference and focuses only on the types of testing that developers (rather than system administrators) typically perform. The source code for my demos is also available, and the README.txt file in the root folder explains more about the code.
- Testing Hadoop Applications *
- Workshop I led at the Strata + Hadoop World NYC conference in October, 2012.
- Introduction to Apache Hadoop *
- Session I presented at the Strange Loop conference in September, 2012.
- Overview of Apache ZooKeeper
- Presented at the Lambda Lounge meeting in June, 2012
- Introduction to Cryptography
- Presented at the Lambda Lounge meeting in December, 2011
- What Every Developer Should Know about Computer Security
- Presented at the Lambda Lounge meeting in July, 2011
- Southern Illinois University on the NetBeans Platform
- Article about the NetBeans Platform training session I recently led, NetBeans Zone, December 2009
- How to Split an Application into Modules
- Article/Interview on JavaLobby, December 2009
- NetBeans Platform Training
- Delivered at Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville in November, 2009
- Hadoop in 45 Minutes or Less
- Presented at the Lambda Lounge, October 2009
- Vending Machine Implementation in Perl
- My contribution to the Language Shootout at the Lambda Lounge meeting in May 2009. Alex Miller also published a video of this presentation online.
- Exploring Scalable Data Processing with Apache Hadoop
- Java News Brief article published in November 2008
- NetBeans Platform Success Stories
- Delivered with Fabrizio Giudici at Sun Tech Days (San Francisco) in May 2008
- Creating Better Applications at Boeing with the NetBeans Platform
- Presented with my colleague Bruce Shimel at JavaOne, May 2008
- Building Professional Desktop Applications on the NetBeans Platform
- Presented at Sun Tech Days (Atlanta), January 2008
- Redesigning a Web Site: A Case Study
- Presented at St. Louis Web Developers Organization, August 2001